Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

CDR Visitor Information

Main content start

CDR Visitor Information

Application Processes

Visiting Student Application Process (This is completed once a lab within CDR has agreed to host you) 

Visiting Scholar Application Process (This is completed once a lab within CDR has agreed to host you)

Visiting Faculty Application Process (This is completed once a lab within CDR has agreed to host you)


Visa Information 

International Visitors (all visiting categories) are issued a DS-2019 to apply for a J1 Visa at a U.S. Consulate. The Short-Term scholar category of J allows an exchange visitor to enter for a maximum stay of six months; the Research Scholar allows the exchange visitor to have a stay of up to five years. Both categories allow the visitor to engage in research, collaboration and teaching.

J-1 Scholar Visa Information

Insurance Information for Visiting Scholars and Visiting Faculty

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Faculty in J-1 visa status may choose to be covered by insurance plans obtained overseas. However, these plans must meet Department of State requirements.

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Faculty are not eligible for Stanford's insurance plans and must obtain their own insurance coverage.

Insurance Information for Visiting Students

All Visiting Student Researchers are required to carry either individual health insurance or Stanford's Cardinal Care.

  • A VSR who begins his/her stay within the first 60 percent* (roughly seven weeks) of a given quarter will be automatically enrolled in Cardinal Care retroactive to the start of the applicable quarter, and the corresponding quarterly charge will appear on his/her bill. 
  • Registered Visiting Student Researchers are required to purchase Stanford's Cardinal Care Health plan unless they apply for and are granted a waiver of this requirement by Vaden Health Center.  Visiting Student Researchers come on J visas so are subject to the specific J visa health insurance requirements.  All inquiries concerning the waiving of this requirement should be directed to Vaden Health Center.
  • A VSR who begins his/her stay after 60 percent* of the quarter has passed will not be automatically enrolled in Cardinal Care. Late arrival VSRs must contact Vaden’s Insurance Office to arrange for coverage for the remainder of the quarter or to show proof of existing coverage.

    The late arrival VSR will be automatically enrolled in Cardinal Care at the start of the following quarter. For example, a VSR who begins an appointment on December 1 will not be enrolled in Cardinal Care for Autumn Quarter and must contact Vaden’s Insurance Office to arrange for coverage or to show proof of existing coverage. This VSR will be auto-enrolled in Cardinal Care beginning with Winter Quarter (January 1) and may either elect to remain enrolled or to contact Vaden to arrange a waiver (i.e., if alternative coverage is applicable). Host departments should email Vaden’s Insurance Office by submitting a Help Ticket at (select "Student Services" in the first category and "Health Insurance" in the second category) about late arrival VSRs to minimize risk associated with inadequate or non-existent health insurance coverage.   
  • Please note that in addition to purchasing health insurance, Visiting Student Researchers are also required to pay the Campus Health Service Fee. The fee is mandatory for all undergraduate and graduate students enrolled on the Stanford campus, including Visiting Student Researchers. This fee will be applied to your university bill each quarter you are here and cannot be waived or prorated.  Services covered by this fee are distinct from those covered by Cardinal Care or a student’s private health insurance. 

*The 60% date of each quarter is noted in the Academic Calendar under the title Term Withdrawal deadline.

  • Early Termination of VSR appointment and Health Insurance: If a VSR is enrolled in Cardinal Care and their appointment terminates prior to the end of Autumn or Winter Quarter, they may request early cancellation of Cardinal Care for the next quarter(s).The VSR should submit a Help Ticket to the Health Insurance and Referral Office at (first category Student Services; second category Health Insurance).  They should list their appointment termination date and the Help Ticket should be submitted prior to the end of their appointment as the cancellation needs to be processed prior to the start of the next quarter.  Early Cancellation requests received after the start of the next quarter will not be processed.  Help Ticket requests for early cancellation should come from the VSR, and not the host department administrator.

Cost of Living Calculators for Silicon Valley (San Jose) and San Francisco:

Please Note: These calculators are not maintained or endorsed by Stanford University and may not factor in the cost of all items. Other similar calculators are available on the Internet.


During the autumn and winter quarters, University housing is restricted to matriculated students, pursuing a Stanford degree, and enrolled in at least 8 units. 
If they are able to meet the demand from unassigned matriculated students, they will allow Stanford affiliates to sublicense in graduate housing. 
This information would be updated on the sublicense website ( 

Stanford has partnered with a company called Places4Students (places4students).  
Although the name of the company refers only to students, please know that the Stanford listings are for ALL direct current and incoming Stanford affiliates. 
Stanford University restricts the use of the rental listings; only current and incoming Stanford affiliates may use the rental listings to find housing. 
The main way that Stanford affiliation is authenticated online is by use of a Stanford email address. 
If you do not have a Stanford email address yet, please send your invitation letter, and they will send you a temporary username and password once they verify your affiliation. 

Additional Housing Information


It is best to visit the bank branch to open an account.  Make sure you bring your passport and the funds you want to deposit. In addition, every bank may have slightly different requirements, so in addition to your passport you will likely need at least one of the following: your school id, your state driver’s license or id, your visa, your DS-2019, and your I-94. You do not need to have a social security number to open an account. If a bank asks for it, offer up your passport and any of the other id documents mentioned above.

Stanford Federal Credit Union


On campus branch locations: Tresidder Student Union, 694 Pampas Lane, and Stanford University Hospital, 300 Pasteur Drive

On campus ATM locations: there are 15 ATMs located on or around campus

Wells Fargo


A branch office and ATM are located on the second floor of Tresidder Student Union

Campus Card / Stanford ID Card

The Campus Card (variously known as the Stanford ID Card, University ID, or Student ID) serves as: an identification card; an electronic key card controlling access to office buildings, libraries, and recreational facilities; and a debit card which can be used to purchase goods and services at select locations on campus. Visiting Students, Scholars, and Faculty who will reside at Stanford for a minimum of one quarter are entitled to Stanford ID Cards.

ID Cards are provided at the Stanford ID Card Office:

Student Services Center
Tresidder Union
459 Lagunita Drive, 2nd Floor
1 (650) 498-2273

Open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

A copy of your invitation letter is needed.  Visiting Scholars and Faculty are charged a $25 fee per card.  Spouses are eligible to receive a courtesy Recreation ID card.

Please note: Per University Policy, Visiting Scholars and Visiting Faculty must surrender their Stanford ID Cards at the end of the appointment.

Campus Tour

Stanford Visitor Center offers different types of campus tours and information about the university and the surrounding area. The center’s trained staff of 75 student tour guides represents many academic disciplines and campus activities including student leadership, performing arts, community service, and athletics. They help visitors navigate and enjoy Stanford’s world-class facilities, sprawling foothills, and distinctive sandstone and tile architecture. Learn about tours and reservations at Stanford Visitor Inform

Campus Eateries

Stanford offers over 30 dining options on campus. A wide range of dining options are presented at Stanford Visitor Information.

Recreational Facilities

Stanford Recreation offers various opportunities for championship athletic participation, physical fitness, health and well being. To access recreation facilities, you must have a valid Stanford ID card or an unused red guest pass. If you are using a Stanford ID card, it must scan at the card readers located at each front desk.  Guest passes can be purchased by patrons with a valid SUID and are good for single-day facility access. For a list of facilities and their hours, visit Stanford Recreation.


Discover the resources, people, services, policies, and spaces of the Stanford University Libraries.


1) Bicycling at Stanford

Thanks to the sunny weather and sprawling campus, bicycles are a fantastic way to get around. Stanford has been recognized as a “Bicycle Friendly University,” and Parking and Transportation has a strong bicycling information program. For obtaining discounted bicycle helmets and other information on bicycling on campus such as bicycle safety classes, repair stands, route maps, please visit Parking & Transportation Services.

2) Marguerite Shuttle

The Marguerite, Stanford’s free public shuttle system, can take you almost anyplace you need to go, including classroom buildings on the other side of campus and many popular off-campus locations; there is even a special “shopping express” bus. All shuttles are wheelchair-accessible and are equipped with bike racks. Download a Marguerite route map and schedule or view the live shuttle map online at Marguerite Shuttle Maps & Schedules.

3) Other Transportation  

For information on alternative transportation options, please visit Parking & Transportation Services.

Parking a private vehicle on campus requires a permit, and most lots are restricted to specific permit holders. To purchase a parking permit, visit Parking & Transportation Services.


The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires all international students and scholars to file federal tax forms, whether or not they have earned income during the tax year. In addition, F-2 and J-2 dependents must also file certain tax forms. In the US, tax forms are filed in the current year for the previous year.

Tax Information